7 steps to follow to browse the internet safely
Many people have said it’s important to be safe when using the internet, for example, it’s important to have a complicated password to avoid having your account hacked. You may have heard stories from friends who have been through someone stealing their online identity.
Here are some tips to make your online accounts unbreakable :)
1. Choose a secure password
Who hasn’t used the same password for more than one online platform? Or, when you created your first email, did you think your birthday would be a great password?
Now, there are many things that we have to take into account to create the best possible password, so here are some tips for you to follow:
- Have it be long and difficult: combining numbers, uppercase and lowercase is the best way to create a password impossible to guess, or instead of using random words choose a phrase which is even more difficult!
- Try not to repeat passwords, avoid using the same password for everything, especially for bank accounts!
2. Save your passwords in a safe place
Think you can remember all the different passwords you have? Here are some tips to make it easier on you:
- There are certain mobile and computer apps that store all your passwords with total security, so that, when you have to use them you will only need to access the application with one master password.
3. Use double factor authentication
Another option to protect your most important accounts is to activate two-factor authentication.
- When you activate this in, for example, your social networks, when you want to activate your account on a device that is not your usual device you will have to “pass” two forms of authentication, that way your accounts will always be protected.
- In the two factor authentication, you will have the option of receiving an email and at the same time an SMS with an activation code to verify your account. You decide how you want to perform that authentication in the account settings.
4. Delete old accounts
I’m sure there have been times where you created an account to play a game online or to get some deal to your favorite store, but after a while, you decided to not use it and you forgot that the account even existed.
In many cases, these accounts are deleted because the business lost popularity and went out of business, however, when there are times where they still exist. Here are some tips on what to do with these forgotten accounts:
- Take your time to delete those that you no longer use. This is important because you may have private data that you want to protect and when the account is inactive it is easier to enter it as an outsider.
- If you have accounts that you no longer use, try to delete personal information that can be seen publicly.
As a recommendation, we advise you to completely delete your accounts if you no longer use them, because the privacy policies may change and your information can be uncovered.
5. Privatize your accounts
Unless you are an influencer, the best option to protect your data would be to privatize your accounts. If not, you can always adjust what data you want to share and what you do not in the setting of that profile.
There are many articles that explain the changes you have to make to your account to have it fully protected or at least have the privacy you want.
Here are some adjustments you can make to your Facebook account so you have control over what you share and what you do not.
- Choose who can see your posts and what they can see. You can set this in the privacy section of your social networks.
- Choose who can send you a friend request.
- Check if you have the history of your locations activated, and decide if you want to continue sharing it or not.
6. Control your emails
Do you receive emails from people you do not know? Or so you receive emails from companies that you know but they seem strange? Be aware of “phishing“. This is the fraudulent practice of sending emails pretending to be from reputable companies in order to get individuals to reveal personal information, such as passwords and credit card numbers.
Here we provide you with some tips on how to avoid this.
- Avoid/pay attention to suspicious emails or emails that go directly to spam: here we refer to emails that don’t seem very safe since they never sent you an email directly before and they may also invite you to go to a link that may ask you for personal information.
- Always use a companies official website when you are logging in. If you receive one of these emails and you’re not sure it’s real, it would be best to contact the official website, but never use the link that comes in the mail.
7. Check the permissions of your applications
There are times when we are faced with a mobile app where we don’t know why the app is using our contacts or your location. Therefore, we recommend that you manage your preferences on your smartphone or tablet of each application. Check and choose which service you want to use and what data you want to share.
- For example, in order for Google Maps to give you directions, the application has to use your location. However, you can change the features of your mobile so that they can only access your location when you are using the application.
- If for example, you have an application to share your information about your browsing history for market research (such as the Thea application) of course it is necessary to allow access, but you always have to be sure you know what is happening with your data. With Thea you still have the option to deactivate the application if you want.
As you already know, at Nicequest we believe that your privacy is important. We take special care to protect your data, so we hope these tips help you to do the same :)
Jane | 22 September, 2018
Useful information. Thank you